Read the Supreme Court’s decision in Sheppard v. Maxwell (1966), which can be found online via an Internet search.
Write a 700-word response to the following questions:
- What particular errors were made by law enforcement and judicial officials in this case?
- How did this case make its way to the Supreme Court?
- On what basis did the Supreme Court throw out Sheppard’s conviction?
- How did this case affect police practices today with regard to crime scene investigation and preservation of evidence?
- What steps should trial judges take to protect the defendant’s right to a fair trial when in a sensational case characterized by extensive media coverage